Help us strike back at Croydon Council's Build & Bully Programme In July 2013 Croydon Council consented to a controversial School planning decision which would negatively affect my Mother's enjoyment of her home forever. In a nutshell here are some key points:-
1) She received zero notification and consultation when her property was the only one which stood to be affected. Considering my mother has been a neighbour for 20 years and not a single School or Council staff member came to inform her is shocking. The council said there are notices on street lamp posts. These were A4 and about 125m away from the home.
2) The Councils planning designs were opaque, inaccurate and clearly biased to show the minimal impact on our home. For our full architects report and images please visit http://www.stevensenarchitects.com/school-expansion-programme-in-croydon-adversely-impacts-local-resident/
3) We decided to challenge the issue with a Judicial Review. After being quoted £7,000 by a law firm we were stung with a bill that came to £25,000.
4) Due to extortionate legal costs we had to withdraw the legal battle and frustratingly concede to the council. Two years later the project is close to completion but the realisation of the loss of privacy and light is unbearably painful to see my mother violated like this.
5) The government and law courts have admitted that on balance the need to build and accommodate additional school places in the borough outweighs my Mother's residential rights.
6) Our only path left is to challenge the 'Rights to Light'. With CrowdAction we hope to successfully fund a legal expert to defend our rights.